I apologize for not posting for a VERY long time. I continue to bake and cook, but I just haven’t had time to post recently. And technically you could consider this post a “cheat” as I am going to just link you to the original blog that I found this wonderful recipe. I made 2 changes: I used the real bacon pieces that you can find in the salad dressing aisle vs. real bacon and used a regular onion vs. green onion.
Almost everyone I know has experienced their potatoes growing “eyes” or sprouts. So what do you do with them without throwing them away? I was able to teach my mom this trick as well…..
Take the sprouts off the potatoes and bake in the oven at 350 for 1 hour. Remove from oven and let cool. Peel off the peelings and shred the potatoes with either a salad shooter or cheese grater. Then measure out desired amount (I generally do 4 cups per bag) and put in freezer bag. Freeze until ready to use. Cook the hashbrowns on the stove like you would the store-bought kind. You can also use them in breakfast casseroles or the overnight egg bake that I have posted here.
As I have stated in past blogs, I LOVE carbs! So what can get better than this? Umm…..nothing!
Oven: 400 Bake Time: 15 min Yield: 10-12 breadsticks
- 1 1/2 c warm water (between 110 – 120 degrees F)
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 4 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 2 T butter, melted
- 2 T sugar
- 1 T salt
- In a large bowl, dissolve sugar and yeast in warm water and allow to sit for 10 minutes, covered. Mixture should be frothy.
- In separate bowl, combine flour and salt.
- Add to yeast mixture. Add melted butter. Mix with paddle attachment of stand mixer or wooden spoon until fully combined.
- Knead dough for a few minutes just until dough is smooth. Do not overknead!
- Grease a cookie sheet. Pull off pieces of dough and roll out into strips.
- Depending on the thickness, you will end up with 10-12 breadsticks.
- Cover the dough and let sit in a warm place for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and once heated, pop in the bread sticks.
In microwave, combine the following:
- 3/4 stick butter
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- After 6 or 7 minutes, brush the bread sticks with half the butter mixture.
- Continue to bake for no more than 15 minutes.
- Immediately upon removal from the oven brush the other half of the butter on the sticks.
- Allow them to cool for a minute or two, and enjoy!
Special Thanks to Fullbellies for this recipe…adapted slightly.
Tired of mayo based potato salad? Here is a refreshing change.
- 8 c red potatoes, cut into small pieces
- 1 red, orange or yellow bell pepper, finely diced
- ½ c onion, finely diced
- 6 scallions, diced
- 2 t Dijon mustard
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 2 T red wine vinegar
- 2 T mayo (reduced fat)
- Salt and pepper
- Boil potatoes, approx 20 minutes.
- Drain and let cool.
- While the potatoes are boiling, combine onion, pepper, mustard, olive oil, vinegar and mayo.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix well and let the flavors marinade while the potatoes cook.
- Once the potatoes are done and cool, mix into the marinade bowl and add scallions.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Reciepe adapted from skinnytaste.com
With fall and cold weather here, we had to take advantage of the beautiful 80 degree weather and have one last BBQ with friends. I won’t list all of the great food that we over indulged in. However, I will share what I would consider the highlights.
- 1 can pink lemonade concentrate
- 1 c vodka
- 1 c water
- 1 can beer
- 1 can Sprite or Sierra Mist
- Mix together lemonade, vodka and water.
- Add beer and Sprite-blend.
- Serve and ENJOY!!
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 can blackeyed peas, drained
- 1 can whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 peppers, chopped (which ever color you prefer-green, yellow, orange or red)
- 1 c onion, chopped
- ½ c oil
- ½ c cider vinegar
- ½ c sugar
- ½ t salt
- ¼ t pepper
- Mix together everything but marinade ingredients.
- Boil marinade.
- Remove marinade from heat and cool.
- Pour marinade over caviar and marinate for 24 hours. (Can be served after 2 hours)
- Drain before serving.
- Serve with tortilla chips or crackers.
- 1 lb strawberries
- 1 carton Cool Whip
- 3 packets Splenda
- Clean and cut strawberries.
- Sprinkle Splenda over the strawberries, stir.
- Fold in Cool Whip.