My family has gotten spoiled in regards to having more than just cold cereal on the weekends. But sometimes I just don’t feel like doing a big “to-do” early in the morning. Crockpot to the rescue!! I prepare this the night before so when my early birds get up, I can just serve them with no extra work. This recipe can be changed to your family’s liking or to the ingredients you have on hand. I have made this with ham as well as deer sausage…use what you want! Also you can use frozen hash browns…just use a 28 oz package. My family likes this best as breakfast burritos, so the servings size increase.
Temp: Low Cook Time: 9-10 hours 8 servings
- 3 ½ c hash browns
- ½ c diced onion
- ¾ to 1 lb spicy Italian sausage
- 2 c shredded cheddar cheese (or colby jack)
- 1 c milk
- 1 dozen eggs (I use half whole eggs & half egg whites)
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 t pepper
- Spray crockpot with non-stick cooking spray.
- You will make three layers. Place 1/3 of the potatoes into the bottom of the crockpot, followed by 1/3 of the onions, 1/3 of the sausage and 1/3 of the cheese.
- Repeat this step two more times ending with the layer of cheese.
- Beat together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper; pour it over the layers in the crockpot.
- Cover and cook on low for 9-10 hours overnight.
- When ready to serve, can eat as is or put into flour tortillas for a great breakfast burrito.