My new obsession is Pinterest. I have pinned so many recipes that I should be cooking non-stop for the next 2 years to try them all. Depending on the ingredients needed, time to prepare and cook/bake ultimately is how I decide what to tackle first.
My youngest son loves peanuts (actually they are almonds, but he is 4 so I understand what he means). Yet he has a sweet tooth and I didn’t want to heat up the house when it was so warm outside. So I looked at my “pins” on my Pinterest boards and found crockpot cinnamon sugared almonds! (Some people say crockpot some say slow cooker…it’s all the same thing) Yes…I don’t need to heat the house and can have something sweet! (I mean my son can have something sweet.) I found the orignal recipe from www.crockpot365.blogspot.com however I wanted to have more nuts and after trying more nuts decided that other ingredients should be changed as well. So here it is:
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 3 T cinnamon
- 1/8 t salt
- 2 egg whites
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 3 ½ c whole almonds (either raw or roasted & salted)
- Spray the stoneware of your slow cooker/crockpot well with cooking spray. In a mixing bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Set this bowl aside.
- In a larger mixing bowl, whisk together the egg white and vanilla extract.
- Pour the almonds into this bowl and stir well to coat.
- Add your cinnamon mixture to the top of the nuts and toss until fully coated
- Put the almonds into the slow cooker and cover.
- Cook on high for 2 hours, stirring every 20-30 minutes or so to keep the almonds on the side of the crock from getting too crispy.
- Cool fully on a length of foil or parchment paper. (Note when they are warm they may be a little soggy, but they firm up as they cool)
- Store in an air-tight container.