What to do with leftover chicken is the question that I have quite often. This recipe is a quick fix for both time as well as using ingredients that most people have on hand. Please note that you can also add sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, etc when it is done baking. Another lesson learned: do not use the hot Rotel unless you like to burn your taste buds or can stand the heat….mild Rotel should be spicy enough for most people.
Oven: 350 Bake Time: 40 min Yield: 6-9 servings
- 3 c cooked chopped chicken
- 1 c instant rice (uncooked)
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can Rotel diced tomatoes and chiles, undrained
- 1 T Taco seasoning
- 2 T milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips or Doritos
- Combine chicken, rice, soup, Rotel, seasoning, milk and 1 1/2 cups of cheese
- Pour into a lightly greased 9×9 pan.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Top casserole with crushed chips and remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 5-10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
Special thanks to Plain Chicken for the recipe.