I try to make caramel rolls for the boys a couple of times a month, but I ran out of frozen bread dough. I was also too lazy to make dough from scratch, so instead I decided to try this wonderful cake. Please enjoy!
For the cake batter:
- 1 ½ c flour
- ½ c sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¾ c milk
- 1 eggs
- 1 t vanilla
- 3 T butter, melted
For the topping:
- 5 T butter, softened
- ½ c brown sugar
- 1 T flour
- ½ T to ¾ T cinnamon (depending on your liking)
For the glaze:
- ¼ c powdered sugar
- 1 ½ T milk
- ½ t vanilla
- Mix together the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, milk, eggs, and vanilla in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- SLOWLY mix in the melted butter.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the ingredients for the topping until well combined.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ingredients for the glaze and set aside.
- Grease an 8X8 baking dish and pour the batter inside.
- Drop the topping mixture evenly over the batter and swirl with a knife to get an even spread.
- Bake at 350 for about 28-32 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Put a couple of holes in it with the handle of a wooden spoon (or the tines of a fork)
- Drizzle the glaze over the top of the cake.
- When I served the cake, I inverted it to show the cinnamon.
Recipe adapted from Pearls, Handcuffs, and Happy Hour.